Saturday, August 9, 2008

Radio silence for 4 months and nothing's changed

I'm sure my legion of readers have wondered what's with the radio silence: Four months of no posts. I'm guilty, I apologize to all those disappointed by the lack of updates. Nevertheless, the news continues and I shall get right to the updates. The main update is that even after no posts for four months, the judicial crises remains as serious as ever. See here for the PE's report on 22 criminal case dismissals in July. As long time readers know, this has been an ongoing problem. There are simply too many criminal cases and not enough judges. The district attorney refuses to offer realistic plea bargain to criminal defendants who simply demand a trial. If the DA would offer more lenient plea bargains many of these cases could be disposed short of trial. However, when the DA refuses to make offers the criminals will take we get the backlog and, most importantly, for my law practice, civil judges are reassigned to criminal trials. This greatly hampers the administration of civil cases. It's no way to do business, but alas...

No comments: